01 Nov Harm Reduction Associate, Driver Level II CDL – Winnebago
This position is responsible for driving our mobile health unit – Winnebago – while providing an array of street-based harm reduction services to people actively using drugs, including injection drug users (IDUs), sex workers, and people living with HIV/AIDS and/or Hepatitis C. The Winnebago provides no barrier care to our most vulnerable participants including harm reduction supplies, bathrooms, respite, harm reduction education, case management, and motivational clinical care. The Harm Reduction Associate will be primarily responsible for driving and stocking the Winnebago while ensuring the safety and security of the team and participants on the vehicle. Additionally, this position is also works with the Harm Reduction Specialists and is responsible for engaging every person that enters the Winnebago to ensure they are enrolled in our program, oriented to our services, connected to case management or clinical care, and that we are meeting their immediate needs. This position is also responsible for ensuring the Winnebago is clean at all times, including cleaning bathrooms between every use, monitoring bathrooms, and distributing supplies. This position works with active substance users who most often struggle to make changes to their use and need support and education to practice harm reduction. This position is also responsible for de-escalating conflicts, setting clear boundaries, and ensuring there is a calm flow of participants in the Winnebago. This position at OnPoint NYC is NOT office based. Services are rendered from a street-based outreach mobile unit stationed in neighborhoods of high need. This individual must be comfortable providing services on a mobile outreach unit, in public spaces such as parks and under bridges during all weather conditions.
Reports to: Winnebago Site Supervisor
Pay Rate: Hourly: $22.59 – $27.40
Position Type: Full Time
Hours Per Week : 40
- Pick up and drop off vans/buses at their respective garages on time. Liaise with parking garage staff in a courteous and professional manner on all issues pertaining to agency vans/buses. Primary vehicle is a 34ft Winnebago bus, MUST be comfortable driving a vehicle of this size.
- Convey vehicles to assigned locations in a timely manner.
- Maintain the vans/buses in the following ways:
- Ensure vans/buses are re-fueled as necessary in advance of a planned outing.
- Ensure all fluids are topped up in the vans/buses including oil, windshield washer fluid, coolant etc.
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness and organization on all vans/buses, both inside and out.
- Complete van/bus usage logs according to agency protocol.
- Communicate all issues related to van operation and functioning to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Conduct a walk-through inspection of the van/bus before each outing checking all operating systems, generator, fluids, lights, brakes, tires, mirrors and inspecting for dents, scratches and other damage. Log and report according to agency protocols.
- Assume responsibility for van/bus permits. Adhere to permit parameters when driving.
- Model proper participant engagement and outreach for other staff, peers and volunteers. Provide guidance, mentorship, and leadership to the team.
- Assist with the provision of overdose prevention trainings and Narcan distribution, and document incidences of overdose and reversals.
- Provide low-threshold referrals and connect participants with medical care, drug treatment, and other life-stabilizing services. Solicit and track feedback from participants to ensure that the agencies to which we refer are effective and treat participants with respect and in a manner appropriate to harm reduction programs.
- Maintain a friendly, welcoming, and warm atmosphere at all sites, including crisis intervention and conflict resolution between participants.
- Conduct community outreach to foster good community relations, educate about program services and assess need.
- Prepare, set up and dismantle program sites: tents, heaters, tables, and other program materials. Ensure the integrity of the sites and maintain inventory of program supplies and bi-lingual educational materials. Ensure the whole team works together while setting up and dismantling.
- Report any mechanical issues, accidents, and/or damage to the vehicle immediately to the Operations Manager and Field Manager.
- Will be the primary person responsible for organizing and maintaining the vehicles. Vehicles should be swept daily and kept organized.
- Perform other related tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s License – VALID CDL REQUIRED.
- Must have a clean driver’s abstract (please include it with application).
- Previous experience driving large vehicles in New York City required – including Winnebago, transport trucks, delivery vans and, moving trucks up to 34 feet long, 12 feet high.
- Experience and expertise in properly maintaining vehicle operating systems, and fluid levels, including onboard generator an asset.
- Must be extremely dependable and punctual.
- Must be a careful and accomplished driver.
- Must be a team player and able to work effectively with a large variety of personalities and abilities.
- Great attitude with excellent problem-solving and conflict-resolutions a must.
- Familiarity with the Bronx an asset.
- Individuals from Washington Heights, East Harlem, and the Bronx areas are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) is preferred but not required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
OnPoint NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate relative to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, medical status, or history of incarceration. Individuals who have personal experience with drug use, women, people of color, members of the LGBTQI+ community, disabled individuals, and the formerly incarcerated are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter outlining your experience and/or interest in harm reduction, Spanish/English proficiency, and interest in the position in addition to your curriculum vitae/resume. Applicants without a cover letter will not be considered for the position.
Please save your files with your last and first name followed by document title (e.g. Smith J Resume, Smith J Cover Letter)