Certified Medical Assistant
OnPoint NYC is seeking a certified medical assistant (CMA). The CMA is responsible for greeting and registering participants into OnPoint’s electronic health record, collecting relevant health history, obtaining and recording vital signs, performing standardized phlebotomy procedures, basic specimen processing and CLIA waived rapid testing as needed. The CMA also ensures optimal participant experience by helping to streamline the flow of participants into the clinic from other program spaces. The CMA is a compassionate person with an active interest in harm reduction, HCV treatment, syringe exchange, and/ or social justice as it pertains to individuals who use drugs or who engage in sex work. Travel between OnPoint NYC sites may be required on occasion.
Reports to: Associate Director of Clinical Services
Annual Salary: $45,000 – $60,000
Position Type: Full Time
Hours Per Week: 35 hours per week/Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm.
- Performs patient check-in by registering and scheduling participants into Epic, our electronic health record.
- Collects participant’s relevant health history and records it in their medical chart.
- Obtains participant’s vital signs including their pulse, body temperature, and blood pressure.
- Facilitates linkage to clinic navigators where necessary.
- Handles telephone calls and answers inquiries regarding treatment and prescriptions, as well as transmitting messages to OnPoint NYC’s registered nurses, psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners and registered nurses.
- Prepares and assigns exam rooms for clinical staff.
- Assists Associate Director of Clinical Services with quality improvement measures around clinical workflow to mitigate delays to participants’ access to care.
Inventory and ordering:
- Ensures clinic is inventoried and well-stocked.
- Assists Associate Director of Clinical Services in systemizing clinic inventory and ordering processes.
- Puts together weekly supply orders for clinic and submits orders to Associate Director of Clinical Services.
Labs and Testing:
- Draws blood and prepares blood samples for laboratory tests.
- Performs CLIA waived rapid tests for HIV, HCV, GC/CT, and Syphilis.
- Perform other related tasks and responsibilities as assigned
- Significant life experience in the areas of substance use, sex work, HIV and HCV prevention preferred. Extensive knowledge and experience in the areas of safer injection techniques and overdose prevention, HCV prevention and treatment a must.
- Knowledge of the Bronx and East Harlem IDU/ substance use communities preferred.
- Must be dedicated to advancing an agenda of equal rights and social justice for low-income people who use drugs, especially women of color through activism and political participation.
- Must be committed to advancing an anti-racist, anti-sexist, anti-homophobic agenda.
- Must be an organized, self-motivated team-player, with strong interpersonal and communication skills, basic computer skills, and the ability and willingness to be hands-on and solve problems as they arise.
- Must be committed to the principles of Harm Reduction and to working with low-income people who use drugs and who are sex workers.
- Must be comfortable traveling among OnPoint NYC’s three clinical sites in East Harlem, Washington Heights, and the Bronx, as well as using public transportation to escort OnPoint NYC’s participants to and from appointments, sometimes in inclement weather.
- Bilingual (Spanish) is strongly preferred.
- Driver’s license an asset; but not required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
OnPoint NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate relative to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, medical status, or history of incarceration. Individuals who have personal experience with drug use, women, people of color, members of the LGBTQI+ community, disabled individuals, and the formerly incarcerated are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter outlining your experience and/or interest in harm reduction, Spanish/English proficiency, and interest in the position in addition to your curriculum vitae/resume. Applicants without a cover letter will not be considered for the position.
Please save your files with your last and first name followed by document title (e.g. Smith J Resume, Smith J Cover Letter)