01 Nov Overdose Prevention Specialist – Washington Heights
OnPoint NYC is currently looking for Overdose Prevention Specialists (OPS) to support day-to-day operations in our peer-led Overdose Prevention Center (OPC) in Washington Heights. The OPS works hand in hand with the Responsible Person in Charge (RPIC) to ensure seamless coordination and provision of services to participants in the OPC. The OPS provides direct services to all OPC participants including safer use education and practical skills training; effective overdose intervention; service documentation; cleaning and stocking; and triage into other onsite programs and services as needed. For this position, OnPoint NYC is looking for individuals who have direct experiences (current or former) with substance use, are responsible and reliable, dedicated to harm reduction principles and eager to work in a high paced, high intensity environment.
Reports to: RPIC (Responsible Person in Charge)
Pay Rate: Hourly: $19.23 – $24.72
Position Type: Full Time
Hours Per Week: 35
- Enrolls new participants into the OPC program according to enrollment procedures.
- Orients new participants to OPC routine, lay out, supplies, and services.
- Establishes engagement and develops rapport with participants – relationship building.
- De-escalates conflict with or among participants, according to established protocols.
- Controls flow and numbers of participants into and out of each area in site, in accordance with established staff: participant ratios (1:4).
- Completes data collection and documents services provision, according to established protocol.
- Maintains clean and well stocked work environment, according to established protocol.
- Works to offer education on safer use techniques and supplies.
- Works to ensure participants’ safety by remaining vigilant, making astute observations and seeking emergency assistance as required, according to established protocols. Exercises excellent judgement when assessing emergencies.
- Models calm, controlled and responsible decision making and behavior; maintains a calm, effective and safe environment for all.
- Supervises the disposal and logging of used equipment, according to established protocol.
- Cleans the consumption booths and smoking vestibules after each use, according to established protocol.
- Completes thorough opening and closing duties to set the team up for success each day.
- Proactively completes tasks and works well with the rest of the team.
- Performs exemplary complex overdose intervention when necessary.
- Attends all required trainings as directed.
- Perform other related tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Individuals with current or former experience with substance use strongly encouraged to apply.
- Minimum one year working in a harm reduction environment (e.g., an SSP)
- Experience with Naloxone and overdose intervention an asset.
- Experience working in community health with marginalized populations preferred. Including active drug users, unstably housed individuals, sex workers or formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Maintains respect and compassion for all clients being served, regardless of their active drug use or treatment compliance.
- Commitment to harm reduction and social justice as it pertains to individuals who use drugs or engage in sex work in a multi-cultural, multi-racial environment, in a non-judgmental way.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) is highly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
OnPoint NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate relative to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, medical status, or history of incarceration. Individuals who have personal experience with drug use, women, people of color, members of the LGBTQI+ community, disabled individuals, and the formerly incarcerated are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter outlining your experience and/or interest in harm reduction, Spanish/English proficiency, and interest in the position in addition to your curriculum vitae/resume. Applicants without a cover letter will not be considered for the position.
Please save your files with your last and first name followed by document title (e.g. Smith J Resume, Smith J Cover Letter)